Monday, June 15, 2015

A Long Time Ago

So this post is going to be a little different from my other posts. It's not about something I did, or something I experienced (kinda), or some character I met, or some ride I went on. No. In this blog post I am going to tell you a story, and admit something I've never ever seen myself admitting. But the reason that is happening on this blog post, tonight, is because of Disney. It never would have happened if I hadn't been working at Hollywood Studios these past few weekends. And in case you didn't know, last night was the final night of Star Wars Weekends.

Once upon a time, I knew this person whose favorite movies were the Star Wars collection. I had never seen, nor had any desire to see, Star Wars and no amount of begging or bribing could get me to budge. But this person persevered. They kept trying. Every time I said I wouldn't watch it, they found another opportunity to try. Then one day, we were just hanging out like normal and it was their birthday, and I finally broke: "Alright, let's watch Star Wars." I didn't think I'd pay much attention, but they threw in Episode I for me to watch. I think they did that because they thought I'd actually be interested in the first one. And I was.

So over the course of another year or so, I watched bits and pieces of Episodes I-III--never got past III. And then when I no longer had a relationship with this person, I stopped watching altogether. I was, in fact, only watching for them and now I no longer had that obligation.

So time passed and I didn't watch Star Wars, let alone think about it. And then Disney bought LucasFilm and I said "Well crap, now I have to watch Star Wars." I couldn't say I loved Disney and completely exclude something Disney from my life--I need to experience all things Disney to decide what I like and I don't like. But still, I put it off. Something about even thinking about watching it was just too...I don't want to say painful but it was uncomfortable because it made me think about the aforementioned person too much. So I continued to not watch it.

Now I knew the basics: Yoda, Obi-Wan, Luke, Leia, Queen Amidala, Anakin, R2D2, C3PO, Jar-Jar (who I absolutely adore in the weirdest way), Jabba, The Jedi, The Sith, Storm Troopers, etc. I knew the basics and not much more. And then I came to Disney.

I'm not saying I know any more than I did before, because I don't. But working at Hollywood Studios during Star Wars weekends and seeing people dress up and get excited and just totally geek out about meeting people who help make Star Wars the success it is was amazing. I mean, hey I got to see Warwick Davis and as a Potterhead, that was awesome. And then last night happened.

Last night was the final night of Star Wars weekends and the first night I got to see the fireworks show, to watch people crowd around Hollywood Boulevard to get a good view, and hear them shout "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" before the fireworks started and I got, I don't know, chills. I'm not saying I'm going to like it, but I think I'm going to give it a shot.

I will watch all 6 Star Wars episodes, go see the 7th, and decide just how geeky I really am soon.

Ironically though, last night when I decided I wanted to watch them all, I had a moment of sadness wishing I could tell the person who tried so hard to get me into the movies about 7 years ago. But that moment has passed, and I'm kind of excited to see what all the fuss is about. Now, I know I won't turn into some superfan because I don't deserve the title considering I'm 22 years old and am just now caving in and it kinda annoys me when people do that with Harry Potter (Like say they are obsessed with it but didn't read the books or grow up with it and dress up and go to like all the midnight releases etc.) but I have hope that I will enjoy it. And if I do, well...let's just say someone told me so and maybe I shouldn't have fought it for so long.

Oh, and look at this cupcake I got :) "Delicious it was" 


That's it for this time y'all. Have a magical day! 

1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoy all of the movies now that you can appreciate them! I love Star Wars and I cannot wait until December to see the new one... But I don't dress up or anything! LOL Can't wait to see you in October! Only 17 WEEKS, 3 DAYS, 12 HOURS, 43 MINUTES til then...

    ReplyDelete