Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Dreams Come True


When I was a little girl, I made very specific goals for myself. I wanted to marry a specific boy (we'll see how that goes :D), not get pregnant when I was 18 (definitely succeeded there), and graduate from a university. Of course I had other goals, but ever since I was young, these three were always top priorities, and I had a lot going against me with them.
Marriage was not particularly common in my family, most of the women in my family were either pregnant or had a child by the time they were 18, and no one had gone to college. This past Saturday, I graduated from Eastern Illinois University with Cum Lade and Departmental Honors. To say it was an emotional experience is putting it mildly. In fact, as we were lining up in the hallway, I wiped a tear from my eye and a friend of mine shouted, "Shayna's already crying?" and everyone turned and looked at me--it was expected. I was also voted most likely to trip on stage...I didn't trip :)

It seems silly, but I have always known I'd end up here--graduated and pursing my dreams. A very wise man once said
and how right he was in saying so. Achieving any dream is not just a walk in the park. It takes so much dedication and time and courage and sacrifice. I worked full-time and a few part time jobs in order to support myself through school. Instead of going out and partying with my friends, I was oftentimes working night shifts and doing homework to maintain my grades--the better the grades, the more likely it was I would get scholarships. But 
every thing I've ever done in my life has led me to where I'm at today--packing up  my car, and heading to work at Disney World in 3 days. 

It is crazy to think that in just a few days time I will be at the Happiest Place on Earth. In some ways I feel way too prepared and in other ways I am scared to death because this time I'm not just leaving home--I'm leaving my state. Everything I know as normal with be completely different. I'll miss my dog, my friends, my family...but I know that I'll make new memories! There is so much opportunity that will come from this internship at Walt Disney World, and I know that if God did not want me to go in this direction, he would not have made it possible. 

As I'm writing this, I have stuff surrounding me in boxes, semi-in boxes, and not in boxes at all waiting to be either moved down into my parents basement, or into my car, or put away in my room. Of course, I'm procrastinating. But maybe it's because my checklist is now so low. When I started preparing for this adventure I still had so much to do: finish my thesis, present my thesis, work, study, write papers, pack my apartment, clean, graduate, have a graduation party, invite people to graduation and the party, etc. All of that is 100% over. Now the only things on my list are: unpack, pack, write Thank You's, attend a wedding, and leave. That still sounds busy, but its really not. There is so little to do, and at the same time, I'm so antsy for it to be over because I'm ready for this next chapter to begin! 

So I hope you're counting down with me, because it is quickly approaching. My next blog will be Sunday May 17, and each day after that! That's it for this time, and have a magical day. <3

2 comments:

  1. Shayna, I will keep you in my prayers and will always be cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO excited! Can't wait to follow your adventures!

    ReplyDelete